Once used as a hunting lodge by Henry VIII, Penshurst Place has long been famed for its Grade 1 listed parkland and beautiful historic gardens. The Estate covers over 2600 acres of farmland, woodland and parkland in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The House and Estate have been part of the landscape of Penshurst for over 650 years. Bronze Age man occupied the high ground in the park 2500 years ago. Romans worked iron ore and cut wood at Cinderhill. Settlements around Penshurst village date back to before the Norman Conquest in 1066. The field and farmland were created from large areas of woodland once used as ‘denns’. When settlements became larger and permanent, a diverse landscape emerged of small fields amongst woods, hedges and rivers. The need for a large open area for hunting created the medieval deer park. This is today’s parkland, with its trees and avenues.
Today Penshurst Place Estate is a truly memorable day out and is also situated at the start of Sustrans route no.12, a mainly off road cycle route all the way to Tonbridge via Haysden Country park and reservoir. Perfect!