Chiddingstone Castle – Chiddingstone
Chiddingstone Castle can be traced back to the early 1500s. During its life, the castle has undergone a number of architectural changes and has been owned and lived in by an eclectic mix of people and families. The castle served as a base for military forces during the Second World War, and General Montgomery reviewed his troops here before taking command of the Eighth Army. After the war, it was home to the Long Dene School until 1955, when Denys Eyre Bower bought it to house his diverse antique collections. We say it is a simply wonderful and fascinating gem in the heart of the Kent countryside.
Whether visiting the Castle for its history, the amazing antique collections inside, or just a coffee and a walk around the grounds, Chiddingstone Castle is a wonderful base for the day and venue for our bikes. Why not head out for a cycle ride to explore the nearby Bough Beech reservoir, or perhaps cycle to Hever or Penshurst Place and back. The ancient local countryside is stunning. It is likely you might spot a wild deer or two along the way too!
Specifics for this location
Where the bikes are located
Our bikes are situated immediately on the left hand side as you enter the main carpark next to the Countrybike sign. They can be accessed regardless of if the Castle is closed. If the Castle is closed however, please rent the bikes and start your bike ride by exiting back down the driveway so as not to disturb any private functions (such as weddings) that might be underway.
Type of cycle routes: On country lanes.
Suitability: Older children & Adults comfortable with cycling on roads.
Difficulty: Medium routes available with some hills.
How much the bikes cost
Autumn / Winter prices now on – To rent a bike using the Mobile app costs £5 for the first hour of rental and then £2.50 per 30 mins afterwards
How to rent the bikes
Please note that you need to have a smart Phone and a credit card. You are now able to hire multiple bikes from the same phone and account details.
To hire a bike, then follow the instructions below:
- Download the Mobile phone app ‘Linka Go‘ and register your details.
- Carefully read the terms and conditions
- The lock is attached to the front wheel of the bike. It is activated with a small button on it’s right hand side when it is sleeping. It is opened and closed by using the Mobile app.
- Choose the bike you would to use. Make sure to check it over thoroughly before deciding to hire it.
- If you see any issues, then please do not hire the bike and report them to us via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Having chosen your bike, press the button on the right hand side of the lock. It should make a beep showing it is now awake.
- Follow the instructions on the app and either scan the QR code (found on the laminate instructions in the basket) or by type in the 4 digit number of the bike found on the green sticker on the handle bars.
- The lock should now open.
- To add an additional bike to your rental, then simply click on the + button next to your current bike number in the centre of the App screen and scan the additional bike QR code.
- You are all set…your countryside awaits!
When you are out and about you can use the Mobile app to secure the lock as many times as you want. To end the rental though, you must return the bike back to the same place you hired it from and re-secure it to the bike stand.
The maximum hire period allowed is 12 hours and all bikes must be returned and secured within that period. Likewise all bikes must be returned within daylight.
How to return the bikes
- To end your rental, you must return the bike back to the same bike stands that you hired it from.
- When you have returned to the original place, use the U-bolt that is connected to the bike stand to loop between the lock and the front wheel of the bike.
- Ensuring the lock is sitting over the U-bolt and making sure no spokes will be in the way when the lock closes, use the Mobile app to end your rental.
- Note there is a safety feature on the Mobile app requiring you to hold the slider down for three seconds before swiping it to the right.
- When you tell the Mobile app to end the rental, then the lock should beep and the shackle slowly close securing the U-bolt and bike stand to the bike.
- Once securely locked, your rental period ends and the Mobile app will tell you how much money will be debited from your credit card for the bike hire.
- Please note that if you have hired multiple bikes, then you must return all at the same time to end your rental. Simply use the app to re-lock one bike at a time until all of them are safely locked up. The App will now end your group rental and tell you how much money will be debited from your credit card for the hire of the bikes.
- Thank you for using Countrybike.
The bikes themselves
At Chiddingstone Castle we have the following bikes:
- Small – 1 x 16inch frames – suitable for people with an inside leg measurement of around 28″ (indicative average height 5’3″-5’7″)
- Medium – 2 x 18 inch frames – suitable for people with an inside leg measurement of around 30″ (indicative average height 5’7″-5’11”)
- Large – 1 x 20 inch frames – suitable for people with an inside leg measurement of around 32″ (indicative average height 5’11”-6’2″)
Please note that pending availability, we can also deliver extra adult bikes as well as children’s bikes in advance of your visit. A minimum hire period of a day and 24 hours notice is needed but discounts for day hire are available. To enquire about this service, please email email@example.com
For more details about our bikes see our bike page.
Basic helmets are available at this venue to use for free when renting one of our bikes. For details of where to pick them up from, then please read the laminated instructions in the bikes’ basket (including terms and conditions for their use).